Whether you are out shopping for gifts, caroling with neighbors or gathering around the dinner table with the family, this time of year is filled with joy, warm greetings and holiday cheer. However, if you have cracked, misshapen or stained teeth, it can be hard to get caught up in the holiday spirit. You may even dread being pulled in for yet another family photo because you do not want to show your smile around others. Fortunately, modern cosmetic dentistry can help correct many dental imperfections. Porcelain veneers, in particular, can even rejuvenate an entire smile! Here is everything you need to know about how porcelain veneers in Richardson can make you ready and eager to smile during this holiday season.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Thin shells that fit on the front of your teeth, porcelain veneers are custom-designed to fix minor flaws in your smile like misshapen or stained teeth. To firmly bond a veneer to your tooth, a thin layer of enamel – usually less than a millimeter – is first removed.
A tooth must be cleaned, polished and etched prior to bonding. A dentist will then apply a special cement to the veneer and place the veneer on the tooth. The porcelain veneer is then bonded to the top of the tooth using a light-sensitive resin and special curing light.
Porcelain veneers typically only require two or three trips to the dentist, including the initial consultation.
What are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
Here are some of the top benefits of porcelain veneers, according to a dentist in Richardson:
- Brighter smile – Porcelain veneers can turn a dark smile several shades whiter and are more resistant than natural enamel to stains from coffee and other dark foods and drinks
- Natural aesthetic – Veneers have a translucent quality that makes them appear extremely similar to natural teeth. This allows them to blend in seamlessly with the rest of your smile
- Easy recovery – You can leave the dentist’s office and immediately go about your day after the placement procedure is complete
- Long-term solution – Porcelain veneers typically last from 7 to 15 years with proper care, leaving you with a dazzling new smile not only for this holiday season but many to come
Am I a Good Candidate?
Porcelain veneers, like many cosmetic dentistry treatment options, are not meant to replace missing teeth or fix major dental issues. However, they are an effective solution for a variety of dental imperfections, including:
- Stained teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Misaligned or misshapen teeth
Don’t be a holiday grinch – transform your teeth with porcelain veneers and join your family and friends in smiling, laughing, and enjoying each other’s company during this magical time of year.
About the Author
A proud graduate of the Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry, Dr. Meredith Davis helps families and individuals in Richardson achieve the healthy and beautiful smiles that they deserve. She understands the importance of a straight white smile, which is why her practice offers porcelain veneers and other cosmetic dentistry solutions. Patients interested in fixing flaws in their smile can contact Dr. Davis via her website or by calling the office at 972-231-4876.